In this pinball philosophy video, I talk about the differences between what I call the “new world” and the “old world” in terms of pinball aesthetics.
The other day as I was working on my Bally Mystic, I decided to upgrade the lighting in the backbox to LED and document what I consider to be a “tasteful” way to migrate from traditional incandescents to LED lighting. Some people complain about this but I think if you do it right, it’s a dramatic improvement, and in some ways is hard to tell from older style lighting. Let’s take a look!
I recently picked up a very nice condition game but it had an odd damaged section in the middle. Obviously this needs to be fixed and in this series, my lovely assistant Brandi, helps me with playfield touch-ups and gives us some tips and tricks.
Here’s a picture of what the game looked like before:
Here’s some good advice on how to paint and touch up your game.
|Color Wanted:||Start with:||Add a little:|
|Maroon||Red||Black & Magenta|
|Ivory||White||Yellow & Brown|
|French||Gray||White Yellow & Black|
|Olive||Green||Yellow Black & White|
|Flesh||White||Red & Yellow|
|Lime Green||Yellow||Green & White|
- Realize that not all areas of the playfield or cabinet, even if they were painted a single color, will remain the same color over time. Different areas may fade to different shades.
- Also note that many paint colors will change slightly as they dry, or appear different if a clear coat is added later, and try to do some test runs to see how the final result will appear before committing.
- Mix your paint and put some on a piece of clear plastic and hold it over the area you’re going to touch up to see how well it matches.
- You can pick up a pantone color matching set at most hardware and paint stores and use this to help match colors.
- Don’t use hot water to clean the paint brush. This can weaken the glue that holds the bristles together and cause bristles to fall out.
- There sites online such as this one ( http://pinballpal.com/colors/ ) which has color formulas for some popular pinball games.